A chronicle of my experiences as a Peace Corps Community Organizational Development volunteer in Bulgaria.

Monday, May 17, 2004

In The Holding Pattern

Since I made the decision to join the Peace Corps, I feel like I've been in a permanent holding pattern. Waiting to move through each phase of the application process, waiting for my house to sell, waiting for my responsibilities at work to grind to a halt and waiting for all the fun stuff to begin.

Packing for the two year trip seems to be quite an issue in the online prospective volunteer community. Sadly, I long ago gave up on my dream of becoming a coverboy for GQ so the packing issue isn't one that I lose sleep over. When the time comes I'll fill a couple of suitcases with whatever is cleanest, keeping the PC dictum "bring nothing more than you can carry" in mind, and that'll do. Suggestions from current volunteers are helpful and the one that makes the most sense is, bring along personal things that remind you of your home.

I have a moving company all lined up to take my things into storage. I have a safe haven for my Mustang and a garage sale for my odds and ends. I'm working my way through a "Teach Yourself Bulgarian" book at the rate of a chapter a week and can already say such useful things as, 'where is the toilet?' and 'how much are those melons?'

I shouldn't hear from the PC until the end of June when I'll receive my Staging information packet. That will give me the details of where and when to join the group prior to our departure. I'll put a post or two up here once in a while, just to keep the thing active, but there won't be much on the PC until closer to my departure date in August.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?