A chronicle of my experiences as a Peace Corps Community Organizational Development volunteer in Bulgaria.

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Let The Countdown Begin

I've spoken with the folks at the Bulgaria Desk at the Peace Corps headquarters in Washington and been told that our Group is being gathered together in Philadelphia on August 6th. We'll spend a couple of days in orientation and then travel by bus up to JFK Airport for our departure to Sofia. Apparently, the Group is somewhat atypical in that there are more "senior" volunteers than recent college grads. I've learned that I miss being the oldest member of the group by a mere 18 years! I was given some very brief background information on a couple of the other Invitees and it sounds as though it will be a very interesting and diverse group of people. Some of us will focus on providing assistance to small businesses and to the government organizations that support them. Others in the group are slated to work in the Environmental sector to assist in developing ways to improve, preserve and protect Bulgaria's natural resources.

I've divested myself of my exercise equipment and the effort nearly exhausted me. But, because I'm used to doing something, I looked around for a way to get the cardio-vascular workout that damn well better be good for me. Hanging from two large hooks in my garage was my bike. I bought it about ten years ago with the idea in mind that I would become a long-distance rider and get in my workout while riding through the countryside. The bike is a beautiful Trek mountain bike, lightweight and painted iridescent green. It came with an odometer which I glanced at as I put it rightside up on the garage floor. Sixteen miles. I've ridden it sixteen miles in ten years. Before you mock me understand that they were very tough miles. Miles that would tax even a fit man. Tough miles. Okay, the real problem is that the seat feels exactly like I'm sitting on a split rail fence..lengthwise. I've spoken to a friend of mine who is an accomplished cyclist and he assures me that the pain eventually goes away. My concern has always been for what may very well go away with it. But I'm not delicate so now I'm out on the bike every day after work logging virtually hundreds of yards of grimace inducing exercise.

When we leave for Bulgaria I'll be fit, limping but fit. This coming Friday is my final day at work so let the countdown begin.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?