A chronicle of my experiences as a Peace Corps Community Organizational Development volunteer in Bulgaria.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

So Far, So Good

We've (Ian and I) made it to the Nation's Capitol. Well, actually we're in Waldorf, MD, but that's very close to the Nation's Capitol. We spent two very nice days with Andy and left when he had to go back on duty. His place is too small for us to hang out with his roommate and we weren't going to see Andy again until the weekend. So we headed north towards Portsmouth and Yorktown to see if either of my two old high school buddies were around. Neither answered their phones which leads me to believe that they both have caller id. When we couldn't raise them, we changed plans on the spot and drove straight on up towards Washington. We've avoided all the hassle of driving in an unfamiliar city by finding a motel in Waldorf, MD and taking the train downtown. It was almost 100 degrees and the humidity was easily in the high 90's today so it was a perfect day for walking around to see all the touristy sights. We hiked up and down the Mall, going in and out of museums, sweating and seeking shade, seeing the sights and generally enjoying ourselves and finished off the day down at the Lincoln Memorial. I've heard that Bulgarian summers are very similar to this weather. Today we had the luxury of ducking into well airconditioned buildings all over the city, it'll be interesting to see how well I cope with the heat when I can't escape it at will. I wanted to try to find the Peace Corps headquarters but Ian put one very tired foot down and refused to join me.

The driving is going very well with each of us alternating in two hour shifts. We listen to book tapes and encourage each other to remain open minded while listening to our very different cd's. I don't like everything he plays, but he's introduced me to a group or two that I'll add to my iTunes collection. 'Flogging Molly' is an Irish Punk Band that's worth a try.

We're currently in the hotel room with the airconditioner blasting out an artic wind that threatens to induce frostbite. After a day spent marching through a sauna, it feels great.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?