A chronicle of my experiences as a Peace Corps Community Organizational Development volunteer in Bulgaria.

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

All Systems Go

Less than two weeks now and it's all coming together. I've moved over 100 boxes into the storage site, moved Ian's furniture into his mom's house, donated or tossed tons of old stuff and pulled everything off the walls. I've worked my way down a formidable To-Do list and dealt with insurance issues, cancellations of services, change of address, and automobile registrations. I've worked out a set of contingency plans for the possibility that the contract on my house may not reach closing. The folks who are trying to buy the place still haven't received an offer on their home and that's a contingency in our deal. One way or another it will all work out. Tomorrow morning the Radon Mitigation will be done and some new folks are coming over to see the place. Because of the contingency on the original offer, I can still show the place and a new couple are interested in it. On Monday, the movers will come to move my heavier furniture into the storage site and I'll spend the rest of that week cleaning my house. On Friday, August 6th, I depart for Philadelphia.

I received a call today from the Balkan Desk and after a very pleasant chat, learned that they didn't have the two surveys I emailed to them in the beginning of the month. I sent them off again tonight and I'll check with them tomorrow to make sure they have them now. The woman I spoke with had just returned from a trip to Bulgaria and told me that the country is beautiful and the people are really excited about our group's arrival. Actually, I'm not certain that all the Bulgarian people are excited but, apparently, those who know we're coming are mildly pleased. She had an opportunity to meet with the language training staff and warned me that the workload would be daunting. Thanks. She also told me that there are 60 people in the group so, it seems that misery will have a lot of company. But it won't be all study and whippings, there are several tours planned to see many of the cultural sights of the country and, of course, the mandatory Rakia (homemade brandy) and wine familiarization evenings.

I hope to begin updating this journal once a week starting after I arrive in Philadelphia.
Comments:
so go already! this farewell tour has lasted longer than mama judd's and cher's put together! although the music has been better. let us know how brandy is over there -- she's a fine girl over here, and should be just as exquisite with an east european accent. take a couple of lemons just in case the climate isn't conducive to growing citrus. and remember to check your postings for comments. mine, alas, will have to be anonymous, 'cause i refuse to sign up for a mac blog.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?